Senior Manager - Machine Learning
At Preply, we are unlocking human potential through learning.
We believe learning with a great tutor is life-changing. That’s why we match online tutors from across the globe with learners and empower them to create live language classes with AI-powered tools and learning materials. This is how we deliver progress, create engagement and keep our global community of learners motivated. So far, over 32,000 tutors have given more than 15 million lessons to learners from over 175 countries.
Meet the team!
The Data Chapter drives Preply to make the best decisions for our business, learners and tutors, by building a data-driven organization and the best data products.
We leverage a mature data-ecosystem, built with state-of-the-art technologies. Visit our Tech Radar to learn about the stack we use at Preply!
As Data Managers, we are deeply involved in people, business, products, marketing, and technologies. In partnership with product managers, we look for business opportunities and take them to bring the company to the next level.
The Ranking team at Preply is dedicated to enhancing our tutor ranking algorithm that matches potential learners with the best possible tutor through the application of machine learning techniques. This is a cross-functional team, including software engineers, data engineers, data scientists, and product managers.
Two Data Scientists will report to this position. Due to the small team size and specific focus, this role will be strongly hands-on, at first. The right candidate should be able to set a clear strategy for the algorithm and actively work on its implementation.
Over time, this team is expected to extend their scope beyond the ranking algorithm into additional AI/ML applications, establishing a framework for the entire organization. They are expected to chart the path to personalisation and real-time capabilities, enabling AI/ML at scale, by implementing an ML Ops strategy in close partnership with the Data Strategy and Platform teams.
What you’ll be doing:
- Hire, scale and nurture a Data Science team. Define a long-term vision and set them up for success. Keep them motivated by achieving an optimal balance between achievement and challenge.
- Setting a clear strategic direction for the ranking algorithm and AI/ML at scale;
- Building end-to-end ML solutions that drive tangible business impact;
- Designing and analyzing AB experiments to improve model performance and user experience;
- Conducting in-depth data analysis to extract meaningful insights and drive data-informed improvements on the ranking model;
- Writing production code and developing pipelines when it is needed;
- Collaborating closely with software engineers to understand system constraints and deliver effective solutions;
- Working closely with product teams to identify user needs and leverage ML solutions to enhance the learning experience for both learners and tutors.
- Work closely with our Data Strategy team to Define standard methodology, tools and best practices for your team.
What you need to succeed:
- Minimum 3-4 years of previous experience as a Product Data Scientist focused on machine learning products, leading an ML/Data Science team or a similar role.Having a solid understanding of machine learning techniques, including linear regression, logistic regression, decision trees, random forests, gradient boosting;
- Demonstrating proficiency in Python and SQL, with prior experience in ML frameworks such as sklearn, pandas, numpy, xgboost, lightgbm, etc.;
- Experience and/or interest in extracting insights, identifying patterns, and uncovering trends from large datasets;
- Exhibiting strong curiosity, problem-solving skills, and the ability to identify and address underlying problems;
- Possessing strong written and verbal communication skills in English.Bachelor's degree in a relevant technical field;
Nice to have:
- Experience in Marketplaces and/or digital businesses (B2B, B2C, B2B2C);
- Experience in the areas of ranking or recommender systems;Masters degree or PhD in a quantitative field;
- Ability to apply statistical techniques to derive meaningful insights and make data-driven decisions;
- Experience with Databricks environment and Spark.
Why you’ll love it at Preply:
- An open, collaborative, dynamic and diverse culture.
- A generous monthly allowance for lessons on Preply.com, Learning & Development budget and time off for your self-development.
- A competitive financial package with equity, leave allowance and health insurance.
- Access to free mental health support platforms.
- The opportunity to shape the lives of learners and tutors through language learning and teaching in 175 countries (and counting!).
- Care to change the world - We are passionate about our work and care deeply about its impact to be life changing.
- We do it for learners - For both Preply and tutors, learners are why we do what we do. Every day we focus on empowering tutors to deliver an exceptional learning experience.
- Keep perfecting - To create an outstanding customer experience, we focus on simplicity, smoothness, and enjoyment, continually perfecting it as every detail matters.
- Now is the time - In a fast-paced world, it matters how quickly we act. Now is the time to make great things happen.
- Disciplined execution - What makes us disciplined is the excellence in our execution. We set clear goals, focus on what matters, and utilize our resources efficiently.
- Dive deep - We leverage business acumen and curiosity to investigate disparities between numbers and stories, unlocking meaningful insights to guide our decisions.
- Growth mindset - We proactively seek growth opportunities and believe today's best performance becomes tomorrow's starting point. We humbly embrace feedback and learn from setbacks.
- Raise the bar - We raise our performance standards continuously, alongside each new hire and promotion. We build diverse and high-performing teams that can make a real difference.
- Challenge, disagree and commit - We value open and candid communication, even when we don’t fully agree. We speak our minds, challenge when necessary, and fully commit to decisions once made.
- One Preply - We prioritize collaboration, inclusion, and the success of our team over personal ambitions. Together, we support and celebrate each other's progress.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Preply is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment where people from all backgrounds can thrive. Different opinions and viewpoints are key ingredients in our success as a multicultural Ed-Tech company.
Preply will consider all applications for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or veteran status. Together, we are The World Class.