Trust & Safety Manager
Outschool has been named Fast Company’s most innovative EdTech company in the world, and one of the top ten best startups for women from Elpha. Outschool has also been one of BuiltIn’s Best Remote Places to Work for the last two years and has appeared on Y Combinator’s Top Companies list for the last three years.
Outschool is seeking a dynamic, data-driven individual to lead our Trust and Safety team. This role involves establishing, maintaining, and overseeing our trust and safety initiatives to protect our community of learners, educators, and stakeholders. The successful candidate will not only demonstrate deep understanding of online safety, privacy, and compliance matters, but also be able to lead a high performing team to leverage data and technology to drive scalable solutions.
At other companies, this role would be equivalent to a Senior Manager position. At Outschool we have decided to take an unconventional approach to titling that aligns with our values and is focused on impact above status. You can learn more about our titling philosophy here.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive trust and safety strategy that aligns with Outschool’s mission and values
- Manage a team dedicated to trust and safety, providing guidance and mentorship to drive impact and professional development
- Utilize metrics and data analysis to identify trends, anticipate risks, and measure the effectiveness of trust and safety workflows and initiatives
- Use data, analytics, and generative AI to enhance operational efficiency, inform decision making, and improve user experience
- Partner with Legal, Product, and Engineering teams to develop policies, tools and scalable solutions to prevent, investigate, and respond to safety incidents and fraudulent behaviors
- Handle sensitive community issues with discretion and empathy, resolving conflicts effectively
- Monitor the latest industry trends and regulations to ensure Outschool is compliant and ahead of potential safety concerns, using analytics to assess potential areas of vulnerability
- Oversee training and education initiatives for both staff and users to instill a culture of safety and awareness
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience leading trust and safety teams, preferably in the tech or education sector
- Expert understanding of online safety, privacy, compliance matters, and the application of technology in these areas
- Proven experience in using data and analytics to drive decision making and strategy in trust and safety contexts
- Strong leadership abilities with a track record of building and managing effective teams
- Outstanding communication and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to handle sensitive information with the utmost discretion and integrity
Outschool recruits across the US and Canada, and sets employee salaries to reflect local compensation and cost of living. For New York and California candidates, as well as candidates based in Seattle, WA the salary range for this role would be $160,000-$190,000 USD.
For Washington candidates outside of Seattle, as well as Colorado candidates, the salary range for this role would be $144,000-$171,000 USD.