Impact Research Intern (Spring 2024)
As an intern on Newsela’s Research Team, you will partner closely with the Lead Research Analyst to help investigate and document Newsela’s educational effectiveness. You will leverage your statistical and technical expertise to conduct quantitative research on student outcomes. You will also use your data visualization and communication skills to develop reports that showcase how Newsela helps kids achieve. This role is a great opportunity for a current graduate student or early-career researcher to apply and develop their technical and science communication skills in an industry setting while answering questions that have real-world implications for students across the United States.
- Research experience in any of the following fields: learning analytics / educational data mining, education, psychology, communications, child development, cognitive science, or related field
- Fluency using R for statistical analysis and data visualization (especially tidyverse)
- Fundamental statistics knowledge and skills
- Familiarity with basic SQL (e.g., JOINs, aggregate functions)
- Strong data visualization skills (ggplot2)
- Background or interest in educational research
- Core values including impact, learning, integrity, empowerment, diversity, passion, and selflessness
Bonus Points For:
- Familiarity with markdown syntax (e.g., Rmarkdown)
- Experience preparing data visualizations for audiences with varying data literacy
- Experience with multilevel/hierarchical modeling
The internship is fully remote. Total compensation will be based on hours worked at a rate of $35/hour. This position will be either full-time (40 hours per week) or part-time (20 hours per week), depending on candidate availability. Start and end dates are flexible, as is the total duration of the internship.
One of the fastest growing tech companies in K-12 education, Newsela was founded on the principle that while every child may have unique learning preferences, they all deserve a rich learning experience that ignites a love of learning. We built our platform based on learning science research to deliver the most engaging, authentic content to modernize how teaching happens in the classroom. Along with interactive assessments and tools, we provide teachers with digital content at five reading levels -- from +100 of the best sources -- that is relevant to the diverse backgrounds and interests of their students. Since we started in 2013, we’ve established a presence in 90% of U.S. K-12 schools and over 2.5M teachers and 37M students have registered with Newsela.
Newsela takes authentic, real world content from trusted sources and makes it instruction ready for K-12 classrooms. Each text is published at five reading levels, so content is accessible to every learner. Today, over 3.3 million teachers and 40 million students have registered with Newsela for content that's personalized to student interests, accessible to everyone, aligned to instructional standards, and attached to activities and reporting that hold teachers accountable for instruction and students accountable for their work. With over 15,000 texts on our platform and multiple new texts published every day across 20+ genres, Newsela enables educators to go deep on any subject they choose.
Why you’ll love working at Newsela:
- Health & Wellness: Access to the world’s leading medical experts for healthcare (pets included!). Discounts and resources to stay healthy: mind, body, and soul.
- Work From Home: Almost all of our roles are fully remote - tech stipend included!
- Supporting ALL Families: Supplemental programs and time off to take care of your family and yourself.
- Time Off: Flexible PTO to recharge, including Sabbatical Leave
- Inclusive Experiences: Robust DEIB curriculum, Identity & Experience Groups (Affinity Groups + Employee Resource Group), Authentic & Transparent conversations with Executive Leadership Teams, and integration of DEIB lens across Talent lifecycle processes.
- Professional Development: Holistic Learning & Development Programs that enable meaningful & inclusive experiences, programs that build future-focused competencies, cohort & community learning sessions that foster a sense of belonging, and individual development plans aligned with your personal and professional aspirations to turn goals into reality.
- Make A Difference: No matter your role or department, the work you do each day helps share the future of education and improves the lives of students and teachers.