Business Operations Manager
Everyone is welcome at Handshake. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We strongly encourage candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups to apply.
Handshake’s unique value comes from the intersection of students, employers, and universities in our talent marketplace – the number one place for students to find internships and first jobs. Business Operations is a subset of the Finance team focused on developing a clear-eyed view of marketplace health and how we power growth for all three sides. Business Operations sits within the Finance team to 1) translate employer engagement with our product to short and long term financial impact and 2) to provide the cross functional context and structure necessary to allocate resources appropriately (i.e. between sales and product led growth opportunities).
About the Role
We are looking for a manager to join Business Operations with a focus on engagement and growth across our student and employer audiences. We expect Biz Ops to act as a “mini COO” – developing frameworks to evaluate the marketplace and its impact on our business, benchmarking “what good looks like” (and how this ties back to company strategy), and working with department leads to evaluate current performance and optimize accordingly.
Specifically, in addition to supporting engagement analytics this person will own the employer audience; helping to understand how increased engagement will lead to better outcomes across the marketplace (i.e. more students finding the perfect job). This person will also play a key role between go-to-market and product – helping us plan and sequence monetization.
What We Are Looking For
Our preferred candidate is highly familiar with marketplace businesses (from a product POV) and associated growth strategies. They should be curious about what drives engagement and bring the requisite technical chops to mine our data for answers. Often this person will be bringing structure and clarity to important but still-developing product surface areas – this will require tenacity in the face of ambiguity. Importantly, they should be willing to learn – and learn again – and again – as our understanding of the marketplace and strategy evolve during this critical phase.
Specifically, candidates should have proven experience in:
- Technical Analytics: SQL fluency in still-developing data environments. Experience creating dashboards and visualizations in tools such as Tableau, Periscope, etc. Looker and Salesforce a plus
- Data Informed Decision Making: Proven experience in using data to support product development and decisions, preferably working directly with business leaders and wider product teams. Including the ability to translate data into key insights for leadership through presentations or memos
- Ownership Mentality: Ability to own and drive projects to completion with sometimes minimal guidance. This role will pioneer the way we think about engagement and tenacity is required in the face of ambiguity
- Financial Literacy: Understands how to bridge the gap between R&D efforts and Revenue, guiding us in prioritization of efforts and resourcing. Experience working directly with FP&A is a plus
- $120,000 - $175,000
For cash compensation, we set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including geographic location as well as candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Handshake is the #1 place to launch a career with no connections, experience, or luck required. The platform connects up-and-coming talent with 750,000+ employers - from Fortune 500 companies like Google, Nike, and Target to thousands of public school districts, healthcare systems, and nonprofits. In 2022 we announced our $200M Series F funding round. This Series F fundraise and valuation of $3.5B will fuel Handshake’s next phase of growth and propel our mission to help more people start, restart, and jumpstart their careers.
When it comes to our workforce strategy, we’ve thought deeply about how work-life should look here at Handshake. With our Hub-Based Remote Working strategy, employees can enjoy the flexibility of remote work, whilst ensuring collaboration and team experiences in a shared space remains possible. Handshake is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Denver, New York, London, and Berlin and teammates working globally.
Check out our careers site to find a hub near you!
What we offer
Benefits below apply to employees in full-time positions.
At Handshake, we'll give you the tools to feel healthy, happy and secure.
- 💰 Equity and ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 🍼 16 Weeks of paid parental leave for birth giving parents & 10 weeks of paid parental leave for non-birth giving parents.
- 💝 Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision policies including LGTBQ+ Coverage. We also provide resources for Mental Health Assistance, Employee Assistance Programs and counseling support.
- 💻 Handshake offers $500/£360 home office stipend for you to spend during your first 3 months to create a productive and comfortable workspace at home.
- 📚 Generous learning & development opportunities and an annual $2,000/£1,500 stipend for you to grow your skills and career.
- 🏦 401k Match: Handshake offers a dollar-for-dollar match on 1% of deferred salary, up to a maximum of $1,200 per year.
- 🏝 All full-time US-based Handshakers are eligible for our flexible time off policy to get out and see the world. In addition, we offer 8 standardized holidays, and 2 additional days of flexible holiday time off. Lastly, we have a Winter #ShakeBreak, a one-week period of Collective Time Off.
- 🏦 Pension Scheme: Handshake will provide you with a workplace pension, where you will make contributions based on 5% of your salary. Handshake will pay the equivalent of 3% towards your pension plan, subject to qualifying earnings limits.
- 🏝 Up to 25 days of vacation to encourage people to reset, recharge, and refresh, in addition to 8 bank holidays throughout the year.
For roles based in Berlin and Romania: Please ask your recruiter about region specific benefits.
Looking for more? Explore our mission, values and comprehensive US benefits at joinhandshake.com/careers.