Localization Manager (Contractor)
ClassDojo's goal is to accelerate humanity’s progress, by giving every child on Earth an education they love.
We started by building a network that connects teachers, children, and families. ClassDojo’s flagship app is the #1 communication app connecting K-8 teachers, children, and families, globally. They use it to share what’s happening throughout the day through photos, videos, messages, and activities. It is actively used at an unprecedented scale: in over 95% of US schools, reaching ~51 million children in ~180 countries, with a team of just ~200 people ). We are now beginning to use this network to give kids the best learning experiences in the world, far beyond those a standard school can provide.
We hire for talent density. Our team comprises the most talented, entrepreneurial, and innovative teammates from around the world, with experience in education and large scale consumer internet companies, including Instagram, Netflix, Dropbox, Stripe, Uber, Y Combinator, and more. We’re building a company where the most talented people want to work. We believe you’ll do the best work of your life here—and you’ll pioneer the future of education, too.
What you’ll do:
As a Localization Manager at ClassDojo, you will have the opportunity to build the localization process from the ground up. You will be setting the foundation for ClassDojo’s localization processes and infrastructure to enable seamless and efficient international growth. As the owner of our Localization operations, you will be managing the relationship with our vendors and will bridge the communication between technical and non-technical internal stakeholders to automate the delivery of high quality translations on time. Your responsibilities will include:
- Managing translation vendors and establishing the ongoing translation process for diverse content sources to bring clarity for internal stakeholders
- Managing all translation projects end to end and ensuring timely delivery
- Completing a content audit to identify gaps and obsolete content and propose solutions on how to increase efficiency of localization budget
- Proactively identifying and streamlining technical and process issues that affect localized product relevancy, quality, and functionality. Propose solutions and lead implementation
- Building a QA program to ensure our top languages meet the required quality standards
- Building a i18n bug fixing process
- Educating internal stakeholders about i18n best practices and influencing product, design and content functions to develop scalable solutions across all platforms
- Communicating roadmaps, progress, risks and change control to senior management to continuously improve the localization ecosystem
You will be a match if:
- You have 5+ years of experience as a TPM, Localization Program Manager or Localization Manager at a tech company
- You have experience establishing and implementing processes, supporting and educating cross-functional teams, developing relationships, and managing end-to-end implementation of complex technical solutions
- You have track record of being a self-starter and a self-motivated, collaborative and outcome-oriented individual who is organized and seeks ownership and accountability
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to target communications up, down, and across the organization and to external partners
- You have experience creating documentation and clear roadmaps to coordinate cross-functional teams to achieve desired outcomes
- You have experience managing vendor relationships and budgets with a data-driven approach
- You care about developing and promoting localization best practices across multiple disciplines, including UX Design, Engineering, Content and Marketing
- You have a passion for continuously improving Localization processes across our translation vendor and internal functions to deliver high quality, cost-effective and time efficient product localization
You might be a good fit if:
- You are a systems thinker and have a strong sense of ownership to drive complex programs with interdependencies that require definition from the ground up
- You have direct experience managing software localization projects
- You are familiar with various content (UI, help center, demo server etc.), connectors (e.g. Figma, Wordpress, InDesign, and Github etc) and different file formats (e.g. xml, json, html, xliff, indd etc.)
- You have solid understanding of the software development lifecycle for mobile & web platforms from an L10N/I18N perspective, internationalization standards and tools, CICD, agile software development, LQA processes, test automation, continuous improvement and best practices
 Some more context:
- ClassDojo is one of Y Combinator’s Top 100 companies
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We are happy to accommodate any disabilities or special needs. We are a distributed company, so we hire regardless of location, as long as you are willing to have significant hours overlap with one of the Americas time zones.