Director of Compliance
Candidly was founded in 2016 to flip the script on what it means to plan, borrow, repay, and save for college. Today, we’re the category leader with the market’s most comprehensive AI-driven student debt and savings optimization platform. We partner with hundreds of top employers, financial institutions, and retirement record keepers, positioning Candidly to serve more than 35 million Americans.
We’re already achieving incredible results — to date, we’ve helped our users get on track to eliminate more than $650 million in student debt and pay off their loans 68,000 years quicker — and we’re seeking movers, shakers, innovators, and problem solvers to help take our mission even further.
Candidly is a high-growth, Series B startup, funded by leading investors including Altos Ventures, Aflac, Salesforce Ventures, UBS, Equal Opportunity Ventures, Impact Engine, Rethink Impact, Unum, and Cercano Management. Our fully remote, international team of 70 (and counting) includes alumni from Google, UBS, Twitter, Plaid, Prudential, LendingTree, Morgan Stanley, Deutsche Bank, and more.
We support our Can-doers with comprehensive healthcare plans (medical, dental and vision), retirement plans, a co-working allowance, life and disability insurance, and paid vacation time, parental leave, and volunteer days. Of course, we also offer a student loan repayment benefit!
Our team is fully remote and is made up of leaders, creators, visionaries, parents, partners, cycling enthusiasts, winemakers, and champion jugglers (yes, really!) living and working all around the world. This role is open to candidates based in the US.
We are looking for a talented individual to build our Compliance team. This position will report to the General Counsel who brings an entrepreneurial business and product mindset to privacy and compliance. Someone who shares our passion for tackling and building continuous operational compliance practices throughout the company while representing our users and their privacy at the forefront of everything that we do. In this role, you will interact with all teams across the company to develop deep insights and drive improvements into the mechanics of how teams incorporate compliance and privacy-by-design into operations and product lifecycles.
You will provide compliance testing, testing review, document support and government forms preparation and review for highly complex regulatory laws. The successful candidate will combine industry expertise with business acumen for compliance reporting processes.
This hands-on role will require the Director of Compliance to assist on escalated risk and compliance issues, providing focused direction. The ideal candidate will have excellent leadership, team-building skills, and 3rd party vendor management with a successful background in working through compliance reporting and establishing processes for maturing the overall risk and compliance program.
- Synthesize various requirements and priorities into a unified actionable roadmap for company-wide compliance milestones and drive the execution across multiple cross-functional teams
- Partner with teams to develop a strategic roadmap to mature the privacy control framework
- Create clear and concise requirements both business and technical to enable the automation of privacy controls and compliance obligations
- Develop long-term objectives of how we will evolve privacy controls while delivering on immediate priorities
- Provide guidance and oversight to product, business, engineering and other teams on complying with a compliance and privacy program and its day-to-day objectives
- Translate legal and privacy regulatory requirements to product and engineering teams leveraging a user first mindset to enable automation and compliance by design
- Evaluate, evolve and create program controls and protocols working with core business objectives and business line leaders
- Anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, and ensure user privacy is not compromised
- Conduct regulatory risk assessments to identify key areas of inherent compliance risk, mitigating controls, and residual risks that apply to our partners, clients and customers
- Identify, develop and/or advise on controls that address compliance risk and document accordingly
- Maintain and update compliance policies and procedures
- Perform targeted reviews, ongoing monitoring and transaction level testing across a broad range of areas to validate compliance with applicable laws and policies
- Provide support on compliance, audits, as well as for any regulatory examinations by FINRA or other government organizations and partners
- Provide support in preparation of materials for Executive meetings and reporting
- Develop internal and external compliance training materials
What we are looking for
- 8+ years of Compliance, payments and consumer protection, risk management and regulatory/ legal operational experience in the financial services industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in business related field or combination of education and industry experience
- Familiarity with lending, banking and payments laws, regulations, and guidance, including but not limited to TILA, FCRA, ECOA, UDAAP, EFTA, GLBA/Privacy, CAN-SPAM, TCPA, TSR, SCRA, MLA, FDCPA, E-SIGN and the NACHA Operating Rules.
- Familiarity with regulatory agencies such as the CFPB, OCC, FDIC, FTC, NYDFS and other state agencies.
- Advanced knowledge of retirement plan tax law (ERISA) including Revenue Code sections 401(a)(4), 416, 414(b), (c), (m), (n), as well as others
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, project management, and risk management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and strong presentation skills
- Project management and organization skills required, with strong attention to detail.
- Self-starter attitude with the ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment, with minimum supervision to manage conflicting priorities and successfully meet established project deadlines
- A team player mindset while being collaborative and interfacing effectively with other teams.
- Proven ability to utilize technical skills and available tools to solve compliance issues
- Strong mathematical aptitude, specifically detailed financial reconciliation and data analysis
- Strong MS Office skills to include Excel
Preferred (but not required) education or skills for this role are:
- BSA/AML experience at a bank or fintech
Background and EEOC
Candidly offers for employment are conditioned upon satisfactory completion of our employment screening process (including, but not limited to, a review of past employment and education records, background investigation, and/or credit check & fingerprints).
Candidly strives to foster an environment where every employee can succeed. As an Equal Opportunity Employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other basis covered by applicable law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.